Submitted Jan 14 in Getting Started
Submitted Nov 06, 2008 in Getting Started
Find your friends and make some new ones
Twitter is more fun with friends. Now that you're twittering, find new friends or follow people you already know to get their twitter updates too. You can find your friends using people search, Twitter search, address book import, or URL look up.
Find People by name
Use Twitter's people search to find people who currently use Twitter. Search for a first, last, or user name as a starting point, and see what comes up. We use the full name as well as the user name fields to give you as many relevant results as possible.
To use people search, click on the 'Find People' link in the top navigation bar, and select the 'Find on Twitter' tab. If you don't find who you're looking for, dig deeper using some of the options suggested in the sidebar.
Find people using keywords, location, interests, and more!
A tiny, hidden gem lies in Twitter's footer navigation bar: Twitter Search! Twitter search is an incredible tool that allows you to find virtually anything and anyone by adding the ability to search for key words, locations, phrases, and more! Type in any word and you're guaranteed to get real time results.
- Want to know what people think of a new movie? Try searching for it.
- Search for any phrase ('I dreamt' is an interesting one)
- Want to know what people are saying about your company? Try a keyword search.
- Wondering who sends tweets from your area? Try searching for 'location:cityname' to see a list of people who are from that city.
The results you get from Twitter show what people are saying and doing right now!
You can translate foreign language updates into English, filter by language, post a Twitter update linking to interesting search results, and even subscribe to search results (this is like tracking keywords, but on the web!)
We also keep track of the most popular topics, called "trending topics" so you'll always know what people are excited about.
But that's not all: check out Advanced Search to do some truly amazing things, like find people within 15 miles of a given location, find updates by positive or negative connotation, find updates to a certain person or from a certain person, or even updates within a specified time period.
Find people on other networks
We can check a list of your contacts to see if any of them are currently using Twitter. You can check address books from Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL. (We'll support more networks in the future!) We'll show you who is on Twitter and you can choose to follow them if you want to get their Twitter updates.
To import an address book, visit the Find People link. The tab is already selected for you, just type in your email address and password. Note: Twitter doesn't save your email log in information, we only use it once to get permission to view your contacts list.
Did something go wrong? Let us know!
Submitted Nov 06, 2008 in Using Twitter with your phone
The Official Twitter Commands
Did you know: you can perform certain actions, like following or marking a friend's update as a favorite, by using the designated Twitter commands? Use the commands listed below from your phone, the web update box, or your favorite third party application.
Turning Twitter off and on: device notifications
ON: turns ALL phone notifications on.
- OFF: turns ALL phone notifications off.
- STOP, QUIT: stops all messages to your phone immediately
- ON username: turns on notifications for a specific person on your phone. For example, ON alissa.
- OFF username: turns off notifications for a specific person on your phone. For example, OFF blaine.
- FOLLOW username: this command allows you to start receiving notifications for a specific person on your phone. Example: follow jeremy
LEAVE username: this command allows you to stop receiving notifications for a specific person on your phone. Example: leave benfu
Fun Stuff: friends, favorites, and stats!
- @username + message
- D username + message
- WHOIS username
- GET username
- NUDGE username
- FAV username
Example: @meangrape I love that song too!
Example: d krissy want to pick a Jamba Juice for me while you're there?
Example: whois jack
Example: get goldman
Example: nudge biz
Example: fav al3x
- STATS this command returns your number of followers, how many people you're following, and your bio information.
- INVITE phone number
Example: Invite 415 555 1212
- using on/off username from your phone only stops notifications to the place the command comes from; you'll still collect a person's updates on the web.
- using follow/leave username from your phone is the same as using on/off username
- following someone from a phone for the first time will also cause you to follow them on the web
- there is no way to stop following a person on the web without visiting their profile and removing them. The off, leave, stop, and quit commands will only disable updates for the device(s) from which they were sent.
- you don't have to use ON/OFF username from the phone, you can also set individual notifcations from a person's profile page, or check your following page and manage all phone notification settings there.
Questions? Ask us!